Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 10 of 30....."BE LOVE"...even to YOURSELF

DAY 10 of 30?!?!   

How did I miss a day?

*shaking it off*

Yesterday was a good day.

Mardi Gras.
Fat Tuesday.
Yeeeehaw.

Rather than go into the myth and magic of Fat Tuesday, I will summarize it here:

Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday, which kicks off the 40 days of Lent (days before Easter).

My Catholic friends will *give up* something during this time to remember Christ's sacrifice for us.  Some take it quite seriously, giving up vices and things they really enjoy, like TV, ice cream, smoking, drinking...
Others give up things that are easy: sports on TV (women), exercise (men), cleaning the cat box (EVERYONE).


My Protestant friends call this time 40 Days of Prayer.

No matter what your belief system (and we all have them), I think this is a good practice.
It is a good self evaluation tool.
It can be a good spiritual tool.
It can also just be a *tool*.



I will definitely be praying. 
...but this whole sacrifice thing....

What will I give up?










This is what I have decided:

FOR THE NEXT 40 DAYS I SACRIFICE MY AFTERNOON COFFEE BREAK
AND MY "COLORFUL LANGUAGE" WHEN STRESSED

You see how hard this can be if you really want to do it right....

Let's change the language:

FOR THE NEXT 40 DAYS I WILL BLESS MYSELF (AND THOSE AROUND ME) BY GIVING MYSELF A GREAT NIGHTS' SLEEP BY FORGOING THE AFTERNOON COFFEE BREAK
and
KEEP UP ON MY TO DO LIST AND CALENDARS, SPEAKING MANY WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT TO THOSE AROUND ME

See that POSITIVE SPIN I put on that?





(I KNOW....lame attempt....) 

***


Because let's be honest.....
HIS YOKE IS LIGHT
Matthew 11:30

IT IS A OUR GIFT
Romans 3 :24

THAT OUR LIVES WILL BE MORE ABUNDANT
John 10:10
So for the next 40 Days...if you are so inclined...no matter what your belief system is (cuz we all have them)
KEEP IT POSITIVE...
The GREAT LAW OF THE UNIVERSE says:
"You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
Or like The Twin always says:
BE LOVE


...it is just as true when dealing with OURSELVES.

















2 comments: